Sunday, January 10, 2016

Easy Like Sunday Morning


We love early Sunday mornings at the gym. There are very few people working out at 5am on a Sunday. There are no displays of exaggerated grunting, no aggressive weight slamming to make my ears ring (and ruin my concentration), and all the equipment that I want is available. It’s certainly not as entertaining, but I can fearlessly hip thrust my heart out if I want.


Today was LEG DAY (said with a low, ominous voice). I love/hate leg day. Split squats are the worst, but they are so effective. I follow the guidance of some of my favorite websites (you can read why I love strength training so much here) and I also spent a lot of time with this great book.


anatomy.JPG


To maximize the efficiency of my workout, I have settled on these three basic workouts per week (plus our fun cardio workouts).


Leg day:
3 circuits:
seated split leg presses
bulgarian split squats with dumbbells
weighted walking lunges
weighted box step-ups
weighted elevated hip thrusts
single-leg elevated hip thrusts


Upper body day:
3 circuits of the following:
pull-ups
dumbbell bench press
torso pull-overs
bent over rows
overhead presses
lateral raises
planks
weighted leg raises


Posterior chain day:
5 sets of the following:
barbell squats
push-ups
deadlifts
planks


After coffee, breakfast and a few errands we took advantage of the great weather and ran 3 miles. There were hills involved, so I was sucking wind, but it was still fun. I’m mostly chatty when we run, so my guy can tell when I’m tired or working harder to breathe, because I get quiet. He finds great amusement in asking me questions during these moments. Did I tell you he’s a brat? Tomorrow, I will beg for a rest day.


What are your favorite strength-training moves?
Any that you love to hate?
I’m no expert, so don’t be shy if you think I’m missing any muscle groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment