Saturday, January 2, 2016

The Upsides of Sensitivity


“Stop wearing your heart on your sleeve.”
“Don’t take everything to heart.”
“Why are you so touchy?”
“You need thicker skin.”


For as long as I can remember, I’ve been sensitive. Despite the sticks and stones mantra we all learned as kids, words can hurt, but they can also make a heart soar. I’m learning to reduce their impact, but it has taken a really long time, and a lot of reading, searching and understanding. I can’t watch anything that involves physical pain, not even America’s Funniest Home Videos. When I watch people get hurt (or even think about it), my stomach twists and I feel a shocking sensation along my arms that is very uncomfortable. I also have the knack for visualizing everything I hear, which can be great fun or downright terrible.


I learned from the world that being sensitive was wrong, that it was a flaw and something to be corrected. It can certainly have its downsides, but it can also have really great benefits. Being sensitive means feeling things deeply, which includes joy, fun, passion, humor, and excitement. I tend to be careful with other’s feelings and empathize easily.  I am easily amused, so I find a lot of humor in the world. The sun on my face or the smell of the forest is especially enjoyable, as is a an embrace, a song, or leaves rustling in the wind.


Despite the benefits, understanding that living with a sensitive person is not easy, I keep attempting to minimize this part of me. What I’ve come to realize though, is that no amount of effort, reading, or wishing can really change it. I can pretend for a while, but that feels exhausting. I can no more “toughen up” than I can grow another arm, so instead I am trying to control (as much as in my ability) my exposure to situations that cause unnecessary discomfort. Mostly, I’m trying not to fight nature, but to work with it as best I can.


This recent blog post was a comfort to me:

What traits do you have that you thought were “bad,” but have great upsides?
If you are especially sensitive, what tactics work well for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment