Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Why I Love Mornings


morning2.JPG


I guess you could call me a morning person, although I don’t know if there really is such a thing as a morning person or a night owl. I’m sure there are scientific studies about circadian rhythms and all that, but in any case, I get up early. I also go to bed early.


When I started running a few years ago, in order to get in the miles I needed each day (and then later to meet up with the group who helped me progress), I had to get up early enough to run before my kids were awake and before I had to go to work. Over time, my bedtime adjusted accordingly, because I am a messy heap of weeping woman if I don’t get enough sleep consistently. Thus, a morning person was created.


Now, morning is my favorite time of day. Here’s why:


  • My guy and I have our best alone time in the morning. Uninterrupted, no phones ringing, no dogs begging for attention. Just the two of us.
  • The gym is glorious during the early morning hours. The squat rack is always free and I can hip thrust with zero worries about who might be watching.
  • When we run in the morning, we have fewer near-death experiences (fewer cars too busy texting or running stop signs)
  • Our coffee time is quiet and peaceful and we get our favorite seats for people-watching.
  • I take long walks without my phone. This electronic-free time is vital to enjoying the walk. I have no distractions as I watch the mountain lit by morning sun or watch my favorite bird friends at their morning hunt.
  • I watch the sun rise.
  • The grocery store is empty and I get first dibs on all of the recently reduced products. Bags of produce for $0.99 and extra large eggs at $1.49 a dozen? Yes, please.
  • The house is silent when I remember to meditate.
  • Writing is easier and my focus is sharper in the morning.
  • It’s easy to catch astronomical displays of wonder: meteor showers, planets, stars, the moon. The pre-dawn dark sky is great for taking it all in.
  • I get to see the animals that emerge when humans are sleeping. Coyotes, javalina, owls and the occasional bobcat seem to show themselves mostly during the early morning hours.
  • My teenager is finally in a deep sleep during the early morning hours and that gives me the peace of mind to do all of the things listed above.


Do you consider yourself a morning person?
What is your favorite thing about getting up early?





No comments:

Post a Comment