Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Embracing What You Don't Know

“You don’t know what you don’t know.” I’m sure someone very wise was the first to say this, but darned if I can find the source for proper attribution. In any case, the saying is oh, so true and deeper than it seems on the surface. Think about it for a moment. We can’t know what it is that we don’t know until we learn it. Even when we think we know something, we don’t know we were wrong until we learn otherwise, or new information is revealed. This is humbling to me, but also freeing, exciting and mind-expanding. Understanding this concept has brought me peace and enrichment in a variety of ways:


  • I change my mind. If you don’t attach any personal stake in what you think is your knowledge, then when you are presented with new information, it is much easier to adapt. There is no painful strike to the ego, no embarrassment for having been wrong and no need to justify your change of mind. It’s straightforward - I think something, I receive new information, I change my mind. Easy.
  • Everything becomes more interesting. When you are open to learning, everything becomes an opportunity for growth. Conversations with others spark interest - maybe not because of the topic, but simply to understand someone else’s perspective. Books, articles and blogs become portals into other minds. It doesn’t mean they’re right, but you no longer immediately categorize something as right or wrong, good or bad; you take it in with possibility.
  • Relationships are strengthened. I can’t even count the number of times I’ve heard people argue about who is right and who is wrong. When you can change your mind and disassociate from ownership of an idea, you can readily admit when you are wrong and it causes you no loss of self. The thought isn’t you, it’s not who you are as a person - it’s just a thought or an opinion or something you once believed, but have learned is not accurate. Let it go. Everyone is wrong at some point and your relationships will benefit from this mindset.
  • I judge less. I’d like to say that I never judge others, but I think judgement at some level is part of the human condition and was once required for survival. Happily, I judge far less now than I used to. Why? Because I don’t know what I don’t know! The person cutting you off in traffic? Sure, they might be a giant ass or a terrible driver, but maybe they have an emergency or are distracted and upset because a family member is in trouble. Maybe they really have to go to the bathroom. You don’t know, so don’t imagine that you do.
  • I share what I think I know. When I think something might be useful to others, I like to share that information. There are things that I am certain to know - my own experience, for one. That is truth and maybe by sharing it, someone else will have an eye-opening experience. I also like to share in hopes that I can gather new information. Writing or talking about something helps to reveal knowledge gaps and it’s fun to share with other people.
  • I’m always learning. I do know that there are so many things to learn. So many things that I don’t know. An open mind makes me eager to learn and to seek out information about things that interest me. I also learn that there are topics I have no interest in learning more about...for now. That’s ok too. The universe is vast and my knowledge is tiny. I want to know what I don’t know!

What do you know that you like to share with others?

Have you changed your mind or opinion about something recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment