Saturday, December 19, 2015

Health & Fitness: A Revelation


Two years ago I was on a quest for information to improve my overall fitness and become more well-rounded. I was a chronic runner who tossed in some push-ups and squats before bed, but that was the extent of my strength training. I knew that lifting weights was probably something I should do, but did not really understand its amazing benefits. What I did know was that I couldn’t just keep running miles and miles and expect to get strong, or to develop definition in my upper body. I began to hunt for information in earnest and then I discovered Nerd Fitness. It changed everything.

I learned that even though it felt more difficult to run 10 miles than to do 20-30 minutes of weight training, the weight training sessions would yield better results over the long-term. This just didn’t make sense to me, but I was ready to be more balanced and needed a change. I was eager for a new challenge, so I started following the recommendations on Nerd Fitness. Within a few months I began to see definition in my arms and back. Not only was I gaining some muscle mass (without actually gaining any overall weight), but I kind of felt like a badass. There is something special about moving a lot of weight around - it feels both physically and mentally empowering.


My former routine involved running between 20-40 miles per week and 100 body weight squats before bed. Sometimes, I’d toss in 10 push-ups, often I would not.


Now, I weight train 3 days a week (compound movements for efficiency - around 30 minutes), run for fun a few days a week (rarely more than 6 miles) and do the occasional high intensity interval training (HIIT)...when I haven’t injured myself, that is. It definitely helps to have a partner who likes to do the same things, but even before our schedules aligned, I was comfortable going to the gym alone, once I conquered the initial intimidation of the free weight section. (I highly recommend watching videos to that teach exercises with proper form.) 

In addition to formal workouts, we also walk every day and do fun, but active things during our free time, like ride our bikes or go hiking. I finally feel balanced and consistently challenged. Our routine is never boring and I never dread a workout or a run. I am stronger, leaner and more energetic. I am no longer wiped out for days after a long run and I have more time for all of the other fun things we want to do.

Try it! You’ll be so glad you did.

Check out some of my favorite sites:

Nerd Fitness
Lift Like a Girl
Girls Gone Strong

No comments:

Post a Comment