Friday, December 25, 2015

Frugal Fun

Frugal fun


In pursuit of a tranquil life, I find it vital to minimize financial stress and free myself from the snare of consumerism. Of course we need to buy things, but there is great danger in allowing the process of buying things to become a hobby or boredom buster. That is why I’m sharing some of my favorite things to do that cost very little or are free:


Take a walk, but don’t just walk for the sake of walking (although there are great benefits to this as well). Walk to take in your surroundings. Listen to the sound of your feet, watch the way the sun shines on a tree, listen for birds singing, watch other people, breathe slowly and pay attention to the scents. For instance, today I noticed the humid air on my face and smelled the distinct scent of the desert after a rain. The clouds were steel gray cloak resting on top of the mountain where I live. I could hear birds singing, despite the chill, and watched a plane carrying eager travelers north.


Hike. If you have access to a natural area, turn the walk into a hike. Put your feet on the dirt and enjoy the quiet that comes with nature. Notice the plants, the color of the rocks and the smells of nature.


Cycle. Riding a bike is fun and is a great way to see more of the world in the open air. If you have tires that can handle off-road terrain, it’s also a lot of fun to explore trails, canals, or the beach.


Exercise. Yes, it is actually fun if you find activities that you enjoy. Exercise doesn’t have to cost anything, either. There are endless online resources for working out at home. If you prefer the atmosphere and encouragement that going to the gym provides, search your area for affordable options. Most importantly though, try different activities until you find what appeals to you. Bodyweight exercies, yoga, running, dancing - there are many options.


Read. I love to read. I read a lot of blogs online and I do often purchase e-books and some physical books, but the local library is a treasure trove of wonder. If you haven’t visited your local library, I highly suggest that you do. Our local library system will even send a book from one branch to another, at no charge.


Cook up something new. It’s so much fun to bake or try a new dish. You have to eat anyway, right? Maybe you’ll even discover new foods that you’ve never had before. In just the past two years I discovered the joy of spaghetti squash (add tomato sauce and sausage...yum!) and spiralizing summer squash.  


Stargaze. The other morning I wrapped up in a blanket and headed outside at 4am to watch for meteors. Gazing up at the sky lit with stars or watching the moon rise is very peaceful and fills me with wonder. It’s a nice bonus to see a shooting star too.


Those are my favorites, but there are so many more.


Be a tourist in your own town. Go see all of the historic sights, visit the “tourist traps” and delight in the familiar with fresh eyes.


Go to the museum or art gallery. These are often inexpensive and if you take my advice about the library, you can often check out passes to museums and art galleries for FREE!


Camp, swim, explore, climb trees.


Draw, write poetry or color.


Play board games with friends and family.


Sew, craft or repurpose old items to a new life.


What do you do for frugal fun? Share your ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment