Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Friends


I have some really great friends, both near and far. The great thing about true friends is that time can go by and friends understand that life can be hectic (it happens to them too), but you are able to pick up right where you left off. Friends also understand that we all have seasons of our lives and sometimes the season is difficult. I’ve had this type of season lately, but I noticed something in myself that I’d never want my friends to feel: a need to withdraw.


I didn’t consciously withdraw from my friends, but I want to be the upbeat friend. The friend who contributes to laughter, the friend who leaves you feeling good after the interaction and I knew that I wouldn’t be this friend during this time. In addition to not wanting to burden my friends with my troubles, it’s also really hard, and a bit draining, to recount difficult events and emotions. In a way, it’s like reliving them all over again and I didn’t want my friends to feel bad, so I stayed away when I really needed them most.

Thankfully, true friends never really let you pull away for long. They reach out and you realize that you would never want them to feel that they couldn’t share their troubles with you or lean on you when you needed them. You want them to know that you are there to help them in their times of stress as much as you want to share in their times of joy. Those are the friends that are yours for life. Treasure them and tell them how much you love and appreciate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment