Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Zen, Happiness, and Other Fluff


Ok, so happiness isn’t fluff, but I’ve been filling my head with all things philosophical for several years now. I just finished The Happiness Project, by Gretchen Rubin, which I picked up randomly at the library. I’m also almost finished with The Voice of Knowledge by Don Miguel Ruiz, although I will come back to it again and again.

I also return regularly to some of my other favorites, like Eckhart Tolle’s The Power of Now and A New Earth, as well as Ruiz’s The Fifth Agreement. I like to fill my head with the messages provided in these books so that each day I am reminded about what is truly important. Some of the content is a bit esoteric, so I take what I like from them and ignore the rest. Tolle’s books especially tend to get a little spiritual and that’s not my cup of tea, but the basic messages are great. The ironic part is that despite the appearance that I’m constantly seeking happiness, I’m already very happy and have always been a generally optimistic person. I laugh rather easily and find it easy to see the positive outcomes of most anything.

Like most humans, I cave in times of great stress and probably cry a lot more than other people, but for me it is cathartic. It’s my way of getting it out so that I can deal with the feeling or situation and move on. So, I return to books like these because they help me reinforce my beliefs and help me keep my priorities in order. 

If you enjoy reading philosophy or are just interested in ways to help keep you on a peaceful path, I highly recommend these books. Are there other books that help you maintain peace and joy? I’d love to hear about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment